Wednesday, April 16, 2008

New Beginnings

Well, the Warriors are officially out of the playoffs. Which is a little sad because I've been looking forward to the Western Conference playoffs for a few months now. I was planning on watching all of the games. It was going to be like March Madness except much longer and way better...

Now with the Warriors out, I'm just not that interested. I'll probably watch a few games, but not that many.

But things are not that bad. As they say, when God closes a door, he opens...a boardgame!

That's right! Today, the FedEx guy will be delivering a 23 pound box to my door filled with all sorts of cardboard and plastic-y fun. Here's what I'm getting:

1) Formula De Mini - My boys have been enjoying playing the regular version of Formula De (with simplified rules). It's a car racing game and they loooooove race cars! Formula De Mini has some smaller tracks (which is good because sometimes it's hard for them to reach across the big boards) and streamlined rules.

2) 1960 - The Making of a President - I've been trying to get this game for a while. It sold out a few months ago and was just reprinted. It's a 2 player election game where one person is Kennedy and the other is Nixon. Sounds boring so far right? Well it did to me when I first heard about it. I'm not very into history and following elections and things like that. But I read some reviews on it, and it just sounds like a very fun, interesting card based game. I like playing high quality games no matter what the theme is (especially 2 player games, since it's usually just me and Mrs. BigKat), so I'm excited to try this one out.

3) Last Night on Earth -The Zombie Game - I've also been looking forward to this one. Again, it sold out before I could buy a copy and was just reprinted. This is a 2-6 player game where one player (sometimes 2) are the zombies and the rest are the people. The zombies try to get the people and turn them into zombies. The people try to get away from the zombies or find things to blow them up. Pretty simple, huh? It's basically a board game version of an old zombie movie. And they used actual actors to pose for the artwork which should add to the game experience.

4) Galaxy Trucker - Yet a third game that sold out before I could buy a copy and was recently reprinted! This game is kind of a puzzle game. All the players construct spaceships from a pool of various pieces. There are restrictions on what pieces can connect to what other pieces, so you have to think a little bit about how they're going to fit together. When everyone is done building, the ships are launched into outer space where they're blown apart by asteroids, space pirates, and other things. If you've built a good ship, hopefully you'll survive the trip and earn a few points. So basically a Star Wars/Tetris/Meat Grinder game. Fun!

So now, instead of my evenings being filled up with Baron, Captain Jack and Monta, they'll be filled with Zombies, Nixon, and little tiny plastic astronauts. And you know what? I'm OK with this!


Edit - You know, after I wrote this, I realized that I really need to thank God for my wonderful wife. She really is a great sport. She is always willing to try out any game I buy, no matter how goofy it is. Even if it doesn't sound remotely interesting to her, she always humors me and gives it a good honest try. Lately, I've been trying to get games that I think she would enjoy (because honestly, if she doesn't like it, it will probably not see very much play time). But I have a feeling that zombie games and games like Command and Colors: Ancients would not be her first choice of things to play. I love my wife. She's the best!

No comments: